The five best spots to get your study on

Sarah Stevenson '19, Web Editor

If you’re looking for some study locations, here are the best spots in the GP and downtown Detroit area:

One of the most obvious places to study is one of the Grosse Pointe Public Libraries. The three branches are Central (on Kercheval Avenue), Ewald Branch (on Jefferson Avenue) and Woods (on Mack Avenue). These libraries are great spots to go if you’re looking for quiet surroundings to spend time and study. In addition, these libraries have “quiet rooms” where everyone must be completely silent. Central Library is open from 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 1 p.m.-5 p.m. on Sundays.

If you’re looking for a popular and hip study spot downtown, Great Lakes Coffee, located on Woodward Avenue in Detroit, will provide you with a relaxing yet productive atmosphere. In addition to coffee, they serve an assortment of pastries and snacks that will give you the energy to finish your work. Although it’s a busy coffee shop, there are usually a variety of tables and seats that are open, from long group tables to single seats, that will allow you to be able to spend time working in peace. Their hours are 7 a.m.-11 p.m.Monday-Thursday, and differ on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Overall, if you’re looking to head downtown to study then this coffee shop is a great choice.

Another local study spot is Morning Glory Coffee and Pastries. This shop is open from 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Saturday and 8 a.m.-3 p.m. on Sunday. There is both indoor and outdoor seating with a fireplace in between the two rooms that creates a warm, cozy feeling throughout the coffee shop. If you’re studying alone, Morning Glory has many single seats where there is only room for you. In addition, they have plenty of booths that could provide you with comfort when studying.

The Kresge Court is known as “the DIA’s comfy living room” according to Curbed Detroit. It features sofas, booths and even a menu that come together to create a different working environment brought to downtown Detroit. Whether you’re looking to get out of the house to study or catch up on schoolwork, the Kresge Court will provide you with the ability to do so without traveling too far from home. Its hours range from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-10 p.m. on Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday and it is closed on Monday.

If you’re searching for a bright coffee shop downtown, New Order Coffee will allow you to have just that in addition to a unique twist on your classic cup of coffee. Located on Woodward Avenue in Detroit, this shop has a conference room that can be rented out when you and friends need to spend time working on homework. In addition, New Order has plenty of wall outlets throughout the shop to charge laptops and phones.With drinks such as their Bamm Bamm Latte topped with Fruity Pebbles cereal, this coffee shop might make school work more enjoyable for you. They’re open from 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. on Saturday and 9 a.m.-6 p.m. on Sunday.

About the Writer
Sarah Stevenson '19, Web Editor

“I used to be extremely shy my freshman year, and I've definitely come out of my bubble a little bit because of the opportunities you have through tower...