Tower’s fashion highlights of 2017

Bianca Pugliesi '19, Supervising Copy Editor

The Tower takes a look back at the most popular fashion trends of 2017.

Over-the-knee boots

This winter, over-the-knee boots hit the street. They are guaranteed to take your look to the next level. They come in many different colors and styles, some with ties in the back and others with a chunky heel. They are great to wear with skirts and high socks in the wintertime, keeping your legs warm. A great versatile shoe, we hope over-the-knee boots are here to stay.

Crocs

As much as many people wish it weren’t true, the Croc has made a comeback. This nostalgic shoe is easy to slip on and off. Jibbitz, the small charms that fit into the holes of your Crocs, allow you to customize and make the shoe a bit more fashion forward. If comfort is key, Crocs are the way to go

Clear knee jeans

A twist on the classic denim pant, clear knee jeans made their debut. First created by ASOS, clear jeans can replace jeans in just about any outfit, and give it a more trendy feel. They can be great in warmer weather, allowing more airflow than a normal skinny jean. Perfect with some cool sneakers, these pants were certainly the coolest bottoms of 2017.

Tracksuits

Continuing the popular athleisure trend, tracksuits could be seen all over Instagram by some of the most followed celebrities, such as Kylie Jenner. Many brands, like Puma and Champion, took their shot at this comfy and simple outfit in 2017. Even Juicy Couture brought back their iconic sweatsuit to Urban Outfitters in April 2017.

Bell sleeves

This classic hippie style returned in 2017, spicing up any simple top. Bell sleeves could be found on floral tops during the warmer months, and on sweaters during the fall and winter months. While they may be a bit impractical with their extra fabric, they are a quirky way to channel your inner flower child.

Photo courtesy of Audrey Whitaker ’19

Crushed velvet

Velvet gives any look a luxurious edge, and 2017 certainly didn’t go without it. From tops to dresses to even boots, crushed velvet gives any look a day-to-night versatility. This trend was most popular during the holidays and could be found everywhere, from high end to budget brands.

Mesh

This edgy fabric trend allowed for lots of layering this past year. Mesh tops are perfect to throw over a cute bralette or bandeau to give it a high-end feel, and have become the new night-out essential. Mesh tops were the perfect statement piece for those who took fashion risks in 2017.

Mirrored sunglasses

Mirrored sunglasses with colorful lenses were all the rage this year, and didn’t only stick around during the summer months. These reflective glasses were perfect for the cool Instagram picture, and provide the perfect pop of color. For those who upped their eyewear game in 2017, mirrored sunglasses were the way to go.

Logos

Designer logos were all the rage this past year. After several years of moving away from logo-branded fashion, 2017 was the year this trend finally returned. Luxury brands, such as Louis Vuitton and Gucci, primarily participated in logo fashion. Don’t expect this trend to be left in 2017 however, as it’s predicted to follow us into 2018.