Planning ahead: will planners be available in the future?

Kaitlyn Perkins '18, Web Editor

At the beginning of each school year, South distributes planners to every student. However, even though the planner is a free tool to help students stay on track of their work, not everyone utilizes it.

Photo credits to Kaitlyn Perkins

“I have spoken to many students over the years, and for many it is their ‘go-to’ as they navigate high school,” principal Moussa Hamka said. “However, I have spoken to students that don’t really use it that much.”

While the planners’ ultimate purpose is to provide a place for students to write down homework that they need to complete, it is also a resourceful tool that can help serve other purposes.

“Some teachers are using the passes that are in the back (of the planners), which we are expecting to see more of in the future. Also, all of the school’s rules and regulations are in the front if a student needs to refer to it.” Hamka said

Additionally, this leaves a question; Do many South students actually use the planner on a daily basis?

“In my experience as a teacher, the younger students usually use it more often than the older students do.” English teacher Elizabeth Lulis said. “I think this is because most teachers, including myself, put everything up online so there might not be as much of an urge to use the planner.”

If a student decides they do not want to use a planner, there are other ways to keep track of work.

“I would like my students to use Canvas, (an online resource that helps students access assignments and other important class information online). Beyond that, I put the unit plans up on the closet door in my classroom in the hopes that students will see what they are missing.” Lulis said.

A few years ago, the planner shipment was delayed. This left the school unable to distribute them during registration, so they were given to students about a month after the school year had started. This forced students to find new ways to keep track of assignments.

“When we had the delay on shipment, I urged students to utilize their phones, google calendar, as well as google classroom,” Hamka said .“I was shocked by the amount of complaints that we received when the planners could not get here on time.”

It is up to students whether or not they want to use the planner or other options that are available to them. Staying organized and keeping track of assignments is just one thing that can help a student be successful in school.

“We are so attached to our phones and our electronics altogether,” Hamka said. “Going a little old-school once in awhile isn’t so bad.”