Increased South community support of the fine arts will bring out student talent, recognition

Cartoon by Riley Lynch ’18

It doesn’t take much to notice the true talent South possesses in its student body.

Our athletic hall of fame is running out of room.

The choir constantly brings back awards from trips abroad.

We are proud to have a student with a perfect score on the ACT.

One area that lacks attention however, is the fine arts programs at South.

Just by walking across the bridge to the IA Building, one can see a plethora of murals and individual works. This past week, students and community members were able to visit the multi-purpose room, filled wall to wall with aspiring artists’ works for sale. But we see this as only a start in the right direction.

The Art Fest is vital to the financial support of the art department. Paint brushes, showcases to display the art and other materials wouldn’t be affordable without the proceeds of the four-day viewing.

Unfortunately, outside of these few spotlights, there simply isn’t enough promotion to this program of talent and individual expression.

Every year, the whole school meets in the main gym to designate a final day to the festivities of spirit week and get ready for the following homecoming weekend. As tradition serves, the varsity football team gets the honor of an introduction from the captains. There’s arguably no other moment in the school year– aside from graduation– where students are given the full attention of the school body.

If South can put forth this much attention to our boys of fall, then the creative artists should see more light of day.

Additionally, the choir constantly puts on shows and even does caroling around the community during the holiday season. In fact, it’s the choir who is quick to dominate the multi-purpose room immediately after the art department. If Art Fest could last over the span of a week or longer, more pieces could be sold, and thus more funding at the department’s disposal.

So, why should a department of the school which in the No Student Left Behind Act was declared part of the “core academic subjects”, be left in the dark with the exception of Art Fest? Classes that share the same title, such as English, math and science are given mandatory attention every day by South students.

It is understood that trying to cut out class time for the whole school to be together for one event or show is near impossible, so perhaps the administration and art department could work to do more projects around the school.

The press box used at football games also faces Fischer road and has a faded, blue and gold “GP SOUTH” logo. For five months out of the year this logo is blocked by tree branches. We propose that instead of leaving it this way, the trees could be trimmed back and a fresh, creative mural could be painted. This way, when rival schools are getting off the bus, they aren’t met with an unnoticeable school logo, but a vibrant representation of our school’s skills.

This responsibility to embrace the fine arts isn’t only on the school and community, but we here at Tower vow to do the same.

As student media, we too take responsibility for our role in promoting and supporting the arts in the Grosse Pointe South community. In doing so, from here on out we pledge to cover the fine art programs and their outstanding students and achievements as robustly and frequently as we do for athletics and the choir.