Rock Climbing Club is students’ opportunity to have fun and forge friendships

By Alyssa Cole ’19 | Staff Writer

Photo by Elizabeth Lulis

Rock Climbing Club, run by Elizabeth Lulis, English teacher, and Stephen Kim, science teacher, allows students of different experience levels to come together and rock climb at Planet Rock in Madison Heights.

“There are over 50 students involved in the club, and during our first climb this year we had 20 attend, which is great. Some climb groups are smaller than others, but no matter what we try to go out once a month,” Lulis said.

The walls rise as high as 60-70 feet, according to Lulis, and climbers can also traverse horizontally, which is climbing sideways across walls. Lulis says that the club offers something for everyone, no matter their experience level.

People who are afraid of heights do not have to climb the high walls, as the walls also offer movement from side to side. There are secure harnesses as well, so students feel safe.

“Some of our students have climbed before, but a lot of our students are new. We just want anyone who has an interest to come,” Lulis said.

So far this year there are more male members of the club than last year, due to freshmen joining, so there is more of an even balance of boys and girls.

Marie High, ‘17, one of the leaders of the club, said that the club is low commitment, as there are only a few meetings a month. In addition, one climb per month is planned for Sundays, making it easier for students with busy schedules to participate.

“It is really fun to go climbing and it surprised me how much fun it was, because I had never gone rock climbing before the club. It is a great way for students to do something that they don’t normally do,” High said.

Sarah Rabaut, ‘19, said that it is important to work hard and be attentive while climbing, because it results in improvement of skill level and overall the best possible experience for students. She said that rock climbing is fun because it is exhilarating to climb up the walls at great heights while spending time with friends over the weekend.

“I would definitely recommend for people to join Rock Climbing Club, because it is out of many people’s’ comfort zones, but lots of students have realized it is something that they really like, and end up meeting a variety of new friends,” Rabaut said.