What is your favorite spring sport

Students should take time to volunteer for Relay for Life, Out of the Darkness this weekend

Cartoon by Jen Toenjes ’16

Even with spring schedules packed with testing, sports and extracurriculars, students should consider finding time to support the charitable events other students at South have planned for this weekend. Both Relay for Life on Saturday, and the Out of the Darkness Walk on Sunday, have student executives who have dedicated time and energy to raising money for  cancer research and suicide prevention, respectively.

Relay for Life runs from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the Woods’ City Hall on Saturday as a daylong fundraiser to benefit the American Cancer Society. Members of the National Honor Society have worked for months to plan this event in addition to their team fundraiser.

In addition, “The Tower” will have a booth to honor our late adviser, Jeff Nardone (Nard), who passed away two and a half years ago from lymphoma. As our staff has some of the last students to be mentored by Nard, it is imperative for us to remember him and do our part to donate to finding a cure.

The event as a whole is a great way to support the community, have fun and give back to a worthy cause that has affected us all in some capacity.

Along with this, our Editorial Board and staff have been strong advocates for awareness surrounding mental health and substance abuse throughout the school year. A close link to these topics is suicide prevention, which has affected many students at our school.

The third annual Out of the Darkness Walk for suicide awareness takes place this Sunday, May 15 at noon and is a South student initiative. This opportunity is a fantastic way to connect with the community via walking while also benefiting an important cause that needs more research and funding.

Both of these fundraisers have been thoroughly planned by diligent South students who have spent a great deal of time attempting to create discussions and unite our community. It is critical that our student body support these local events so that donations, awareness and support continue for these causes in years to come.