What is your favorite spring sport

Mr. Blue Devil pageant tonight to benefit The Empowerment Plan

Photos courtesy of Gabi deCoster ’16.

By Will Muawad ’17 | Staff Writer

Tonight is Student Association’s Mr. Blue Devil event, a male “beauty” pageant. All proceeds goes to The Empowerment Plan.

“It is an all boys pageant that pokes fun at beauty pageants,” Mr. Blue Devil event committee chair, Hannah Connors ’16 said. It is supposed to be comedic and it is with a group of senior boys who are going to be competing in a bunch of different categories.”

These categories include a 30 second lip sync battle, swimsuit competition and pick up line delivery.

“There is a swimsuit contest, a lip sync contest, a formal wear portion where the guys will walk out in their formal outfit escorted by a senior girl, and then a pick up line contest where they deliver a pickup to their escort,” Connors said.  “There is also interview questions scattered throughout the contest.”

All of these categories play into the overall comedic theme of the competition as it pokes fun at the traditional pageant idea.

“It seems like it is going to be fun and there is going to be a lot of funny people in it.  I think it will be funny and people will get a lot of laughs,” contestant Max Portwood ’16, said.

Portwood is one of eight contests that were chosen and will be participating in the event.

“My committee went through the yearbook and looked through the senior class and took note of any senior guys who were outgoing and funny and we thought would entertaining up on stage,” Connors said.  “From that we picked guys from different friend groups and we approached those guys and asked if they would like to be a part of the event.”

These contestants will be judged in the events by teachers and students.

“There is a panel of teachers and they will vote a top three finalists, and then the students vote to decide the winner from those three,” Portwood said.

For students to vote, they must pay a small sum to attend the event held in the auditorium.

“We are not selling tickets in advance, but tickets are five dollars at the door.  So students can show up Wednesday, February 10 at 7pm in the auditorium.”

The money raised by the event will be donated to The Empowerment Plan, a charity that employs formerly homeless women to create sleeping bag coats for homeless people.

“I hope we raise a lot of money for the Empowerment Plan, which the money is going towards, I hope that the guys that are doing it have a lot of fun with it, and that whoever watches is entertained,” Connors said.  

In addition to being comedic and raising money,  school unity and positivity are two main goals of the pageant.

“The event will just help us focus on the positive influences and members that we at South look at for what does it really mean to be a blue devil and to focus on the creativity and all of the positive characteristics that these guys display on a daily basis,” Student Association Advisor, Laura Distelrath, said.

To achieve this unity, South students can come out to the event and cheer on their fellow classmates tonight at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.