What is your favorite spring sport

Athletic trainer aids injured students

Rochelle+Mazurek+has+been+working+at+South+for+six+years+as+of+2015.+She+aids+sports+injuries+for+any+player+at+South%2C+even+alumni.+
Rochelle Mazurek has been working at South for six years as of 2015. She aids sports injuries for any player at South, even alumni.

By Mary Grace O’Shea ’17 | Staff Writer

Starting her career at South in 2009, athletic trainer Rochelle Mazurek has been a support both emotionally and physically for students of all sports at South according to Blair Cullen ’18.

“Even though I know it’s not always a good thing to have to see Rochelle, because then I’m most likely injured, I still enjoy it because she’s so open and helpful,” Cullen said.

During the fall, which according to Mazurek is the busiest and most injury-plagued season, she sees up to 40 athletes a day.

“Many of the same athletes are treated several times a week,” Mazurek said via e-mail. “They see me for head injuries, joint sprains, muscle strains, wound care and overuse of chronic injuries.”

Injury and athlete pains are what Mazurek is here for, and she says she has a method for every concussion, sprain or tear.

“I have several therapeutic modalities like moist heat packs, ice and an electrical stimulation unit,” Mazurek said. “I have foam rollers, massagers, splints, slings, tape, care dressings and various rehabilitation equipment.”

The main thing Mazurek said she cares about is keeping student athletes safe and helping them heal safely and quickly, volleyball and basketball player Sarah Simmet ’17 said.

“I got a concussion last year, so I had to go talk to Rochelle a lot,” Simmet said. “She always asked how I was feeling, and she was focused on trying to make me feel better, but not rushing me to get back out there if I wasn’t ready.”

Mazurek works at South 40 hours, five days a week and attends every home event in addition to all playoff games, home and away. Not only that, but people outside of South come to see her regularly, although her student athletes tend to be her main focus, Mazurek said.

When she isn’t at South, Mazurek works as an employee for the St. John Providence Sports Medicine and Physical Rehabilitation department. As part of a school district contract with the hospital, Mazurek provides sports medicine services to students at South, she said.

It is important for any athlete, student or otherwise to be sure their body is prepared for intense physical activity Mazurek said. Her office is located off the main gym across from the boys locker room.

“Any student can see me at any time, even alumni. The best time to see me is after school or before a sporting event,” Mazurek said. “You don’t need an appointment, but sometimes it is helpful to get that one-on-one time.”

Mazurek handles nearly every medical issue that happens to any South athletes. She is always going above and beyond, whether the player is severely or just slightly injured, assistant principal and athletic director Jeremy Hawkins said.

“We are very blessed to have Rochelle,” Hawkins said. “Even some of the schools aren’t as fortunate as our school and have no trainer. So, even when it has nothing to do with South, Rochelle will still go and treat that kid, whether it’s the football team or the girls’ hockey team. She always puts the kids first.”

Even with her busy schedule, no injury is insignificant to Mazurek, and she helps any athlete struggling with all types of pain, Cullen said.

“In basketball practice I was running, and a girl ran her shoulder into my stomach. It really hurt, but it was something I knew would heal on its own. It was not a serious injury,” Cullen said. “I still went to Rochelle, though, and she asked me how I was doing and helped me through the pain.”

The physical and emotional strain the athletes feel is what drives Rochelle to help each student athlete that comes to visit her she said.

“I feel terrible when an athlete sustains an injury,” Rochelle said. “I know the pain will eventually go away from them, but the recovery process, anxiety, disappointment and inability to continue to participate in their sport is what really bums me out.”

Most injuries that happen at South are during contact sports, Mazurek said. Sports like soccer, hockey and football are fast-paced, and it is likely for a student to fall and sustain a break or twist or even a concussion.

While those injuries can most often be treated, Mazurek has come close to life or death situations while patiently watching from the sidelines.

“This wasn’t a South student but an opponent on the diving team,” Mazurek said. “After they dived, they went into cardiac arrest while underwater. With help from not only myself, but a lot of other people, and after being rushed to the hospital, he survived.”

No matter the severity of the injury, the sport, or the athlete, according to Mazurek, all athletes will all receive any form of help and treatment she can afford them.

“I never worry if my injury is insignificant or if I’m bothering (Rochelle),” Cullen said. “I know she will do whatever she can to see me back on the court doing my best.”