Giving thanks: South offers a plethora of activities, privileges

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cartoon by Abby Ferry '16

Cartoon by Abby Ferry '16

Cartoon by Abby Ferry '16

Cartoon by Abby Ferry '16

As Thanksgiving approaches, it is important to take a moment to remember all the blessings in our lives. From the majestic tower to the Otis Spunkmeyer cookies, South is just one of the gifts we should appreciate this year.

South is one of the leading high schools in not only the state but also the country. In October 2014, the United States Department of Labor reported that only 68.4 percent of high school graduates in the country went on to attend a college or university; last year, South reported that 98 percent of its graduates went on to attend either.

Through dozens of available class selections, the opportunity to explore personal interests and challenge ourselves has always been encouraged. Alongside these options stands a teaching staff who constantly works to give us the best education possible. It is easy to see how this has fostered an environment in which students thrive.

Past academics, South offers an array of extracurricular activities that allow any student to pursue their passion. Whether it be through film, community service or journalism, each of us can explore and find our niche, all the while advised by faculty members and supported by an incredibly passionate Student Activities department.

If a student doesn’t find what they are looking for within an after-school club, many find it in the athletics program with 60 percent of students participating in a sport throughout their time at South.

With first-rate athletic facilities and sports programs that emphasize not only healthy competition but teamwork and fraternity, South is recognized throughout Michigan as the total package.

Finally, let us acknowledge our fortune to have an administrative staff that constantly works with us and for us to improve the quality of our education and security of our futures. Their trust and belief in the student body shows in not only the big things but also the little things they do for us, such as giving us the responsibility of open campus lunches. This mutual trust is not always available in other schools, but at South it reinforces that they have only students’ best interests at heart.

We are the sum of our experiences, and we are fortunate that an educational experience at this school has been a part of that. South creates passionate leaders through student government.

It crafts the next Broadway stars through choir and musical theater. It molds business innovators through DECA. It shapes sensible adults through the trust and responsibilities we are entrusted with. South helps us become who we are together, as a family.

Our school is our extended family, and although we have our ups and downs, we are always there to support one another. So this Thanksgiving, as we sit down for dinner with our own families, let us not forget the bonds and experiences we share and all the gifts and opportunities South has provided for us as well.