What is your favorite spring sport

Five tips to improve your ACT score

TA Keating ‘13| Executive Web Editor

Next week, South’s junior class will take part in a trial that all high school students must face: the ACT. No one can precisely say when the ACT was created, although most leading scientists suggest it has extraterrestrial origins. The ACT has the remarkable power to determine the value of every human life based soley on a score ranging from 1 to 36. To get a high score on the ACT, once must prove himself worthy in tests of knowledge and skill. With this in mind, I’ve prepared a collection of advice that will get you the score you need in order succeed–guaranteed or your money back.

1) Get Enough Sleep

Although this should be a no-brainer, you would be amazed how many students disregard this advice. Your brain can’t function as well when you’re tired, so sleep is crucial for success on the ACT. However, since the ACT usually takes place early in the morning, getting enough sleep is easier said than done.  I recommend taking short naps throughout the test. This may sound unorthodox, but it makes plenty of sense when you think about it. The naps will allow your brain to run at full charge for the duration of the test, making them a valuable asset. In addition, the passages in the reading section make for excellent bedtime stories, so it’s not very hard to sleep.

2) Come prepared

Never assume that calculators and pencils will be available at your testing center. You can’t take a test without a writing utensil, and the math section is much harder without a calculator. While most people bring these valuable items, they leave behind the most important device of all: a cell phone. In the 21st century, you have to stay connected to the online universe, and the ACT is no exception. If you turn your phone off or leave it at home, you’re missing a great opportunity to live tweet the exam and see how your friends tests are doing. If Twitter isn’t your fancy, I recommend Instagram, since sepia-filtered photos of your answer sheet will be all the rage with your followers.

3) Pace yourself

The saying goes, “slow and steady wins the race.” This is attitude you need to have if you want to succeed. When you rush though the ACT, you are bound to make some very avoidable mistakes. While many students choose to rush through the test as fast as possible, skipping any question they get stuck on, you are well advised to stay away from that technique. Instead, take all the time you need on each question, especially when you can’t figure out how to answer them. Like many members of the animal kingdom, ACT graders will eat you alive at the first sign of weakness, and giving up on a question isn’t exactly a show of strength.

4) Practice is key

What do Barry Bonds, Jose Conseco and Lance Armstrong have in common? They are all successful because they “practiced.” Just like professional athletes, many students “practice” in order to get a better score on the ACT. While some people claim “practice” isn’t necessary for standardized tests, I disagree. There are a variety of different methods of “practicing,” so I recommend you schedule a day (preferably when you won’t have to operate machinery) to try them all and see what kind of “practice” is right for you.

5) Whatever you do, don’t stress out

Honestly, this is probably the best piece of advice I have to offer. If when you get stressed, you get anxious. When you get anxious, you don’t do as well. Just keep this thought in the back of your mind: “a life of crime can be very lucrative.” If your score is too low to get into college, you can always join a street gang. Al Capone didn’t go to college, and he was extremely successful in that line of work. Play your cards right and you could even get your own crew one day. As long as you know how to stay out of jail, bombing the ACT isn’t so bad.

The ACT will absolutely determine whether you have value as a human being, so it’s very important that you try your best. With these tips in mind, you’re sure to do a great job on the upcoming ACT, and prove once and for all that you’re not a worthless piece of trash.