Bring in cans! SA Canned Food Drive ends on Friday

Bring+in+cans%21+SA+Canned+Food+Drive+ends+on+Friday+

Kelly Cullen ’13 | Social Media Editor

Student Association’s  annual canned food drive began this week starting Monday and ending Friday, March 1, SA member Aynslie Fritz ’14 said.  Cans are collected during students’ third hour classes. The cans donated by students and faculty will be given to the Salvation Army who will then distribute the non-perishable food to families in need.

Being an annual fundraiser, last year was the most successful canned food drive ever, Fritz said.  They ended up needing about four vans to carry all of the cans.

“My favorite part about the can drive is that it happens in the dead of winter when it is really rough for families who don’t have much,” said Fritz.  “It just feels so good to help families when they need it the most.”

Signs were posted throughout the school to remind students and faculty to bring in any extra cans they have at their house or to purchase them, Food Drive Chair Wade Penman ’14 said.  There will also be information everyday in the announcements to raise awareness.

A student from each class will bring the cans down to room 164 on Friday during third hour, SA Adviser Laura Distelrath said.  Each class has a tally sheet initialed by their teacher showing how many cans each student brought in each day of the week.

Members in SA will all gather to count how many cans were collected from each class and student, Penman said.  A pizza party will be rewarded to the class with the highest average and the student who brings in the most will win an iPad mini donated by SA.

“Although students should be motivated to bring in cans because of the cause,” said Amanda Heidt, “I think that the iPad mini is a really good idea for the student who collected the most cans because it gives an incentive to bring in more.”