Freshman Class Council sponsors ‘Winter Spirit Week’

Graphic courtesy of GPPSS

By Will Boyce ’15 | Staff Writer

Want another spirit week?  Freshman Class Council is making it happen. Tuesday, Jan. 29 marks the first day of the first annual Winter Spirit week, Freshman Class Adviser Mike Rennell said.

During the homecoming spirit week, each of the first four days of the week are designated to a class to show off their class spirit, while Friday is unity day when the school comes together as a whole. This time around, every day is school wide and there is no competition among classes, Rennell said.

“It’s going to be a really great fundraiser and I’m hoping we get a good turnout of people who participate in the daily themes,” said Connor Mallegg ‘16. “I think it will be a great way to start off the second semester.”

Each day of the week has a theme that involves people donating to the “Sweet Dreamzzz” [sic] foundation located in Farmington Hills Michigan which donates to homeless shelters, Rennell said.

The first day,  is pajama day. Students from all grades are asked to wear pajamas to school and donate sleeping bags, blankets or money to donate to Sweet Dreamzzzz, Renell said.

Money donation boxes will be located in the main office and the library to donate to Sweet Dreamzzzz.

Wednesday is Crazy Socks day, when students will all wear crazy socks and try to “sock someone with a compliment” to show school unity. The Freshmen Class Council asks students to bring new socks they are willing to donate, preferably white crew socks, Rennell said,

Thursday the theme involves students wearing sports t shirts, concert t shirts and bringing new tooth brushes and bottles of tooth paste to donate.  Thursday, try to be a good listener to a friend or anyone who needs someone to talk to, Rennell said.

The last day of the spirit week is Blue and Gold day, which includes students showing school spirit by wearing blue and gold clothing. There are no themed donations for this day, although students are asked to cheer up a friend or anyone they see that is feeling blue, Rennell said.

Members from the Class Councils and Student Association will be handing out suckers to students they see throughout the day participating in that day’s theme, Rennell said.