What is your favorite spring sport

Former Spartan hockey player becomes new girls varsity hockey coach

By Margaret Fikany ’13 | Staff Writer

With her experience as a Norseman and Michigan State University (MSU) hockey player, South’s girls varsity hockey coach and World History teacher Elizabeth Rabidoux is bringing diverse opportunities to South both on and off the ice.

For four years, from 2006 to 2010, Rabidoux played club hockey at MSU, she said. Her final year, Rabidoux started a new club team for players who wanted a less strenuous travel schedule.

After playing college hockey, Rabidoux said she student taught at Henry Ford II High School, receiving her teaching certificate afterwards. Rabidoux was also an Admissions Counselor at the Honors College at MSU.

Although Rabidoux coached Girls hockey both the Mount Clemens for two years and MSU for a year, this year will be her first season coaching South’s girls varsity hockey team.

Photo by Margaret Fikany ' 13. Elizabeth Rabidoux.
Photo by Margaret Fikany ‘ 13. Elizabeth Rabidoux.

Because the majority of the players this year are new to the sport, Rabidoux said experience so far as the coach is fun, but different, she said.

“Usually, everyone I play with has played before,” said Rabidoux. “But this year, I’m teaching some of these girls how to skate.”

With a group of first-timer’s on the ice, such as Alex Golden ’13, it was an experience learning how the game is played, Golden said.

“My coach made me feel comfortable going onto the ice and motivated me to keep getting better and better as I was learning how to play,” said Golden.

Being a coach as well as a teacher can be quite stressful at certain times, Rabidoux said. But she has become used to it.

“For me, it’s about doing what I need to do, when I need to do it,” said Rabidoux. “I make sure all of my work is finished at school, so I can make time for coaching. Once that is finished, I go home, and relax.”

Some students, such as Elizabeth Sullivan ’16, experience Rabidoux both as a teacher as well as a coach, Sullivan said.

Working with students that are also her players give them a more “informal” relationship, Rabidoux said.

“They see me in a different way,” said Rabidoux. “I’d say I can joke with them more.”

Sullivan said that Rabidoux can bring both seriousness and humor to the class as well as the rink.

“In both environments she both is fun and professional,” said Sullivan “She’s serious when needed, and always makes sure she is entertaining us at the same time.”

Her experience, enthusiasm and humor is what Rabidoux said she brings to the team that makes her a good coach.

“I think that because I have played women’s hockey, I can give my players a different experience and a wide variety of strategies some other coaches can’t provide,” said Rabidoux.

Winning the State Championship is something that is most hoped this season, Rabidoux said. Also, playing with North and competing against coaches she used to play with in her previous hockey career are looked forward to.