What is your favorite spring sport

Senior challenges students to live life to the fullest

CONOR BUCKLEY ’12 | Executive Web Editor

I have no magical words or some golden rule to get you through high school, find success in life, or cure cancer.

But I do know a few things that may help in life or school or whatever. First, find yourself in high school and be comfortable with that person. People will like your odd quirks, its different and people are always looking for different.

Next, failure in one way or another is inevitable. A man is not judged by how much he fails or succeeds, but how he handles that failure.

I’ll admit, I failed a lot in high school. But at the end of the day, sitting around and crying about it gets nothing done. This is a lesson I learned the hard way  when after receiving a Letter of Assurance and being Congressionally nominated by Congressman Hansen Clarke for the United States Military Academy at West Point, I was medically disqualified. Two and half months later I still cannot really accept the fact that for the time being I will not be able to serve my country and stand for what I believe in.

The point is that things don’t always go your way. We have to learn how to deal with that and find a way to move on as hard as that can seem at the time. After I was disqualified I didn’t want to do anything. I didn’t want to go to school, I didn’t want to do homework, I didn’t want to talk to anyone, but my family and friends helped me get through.

This leads to the part where I thank my family and friends for always being there for me and sometimes putting up with me. Yes, sometimes I can be an ass, jerk, or a nuisance. So before you leave Grosse Pointe and go off wherever, value your time with your family, but especially your friends.  Because once everyone goes off and then comes back, things change.

And I’m scared of this change. You see, for the past thirteen years I have always had Matt Reno ‘12 at my side. Everyone knows it: we’re inseparable. I don’t even consider him a friend; he’s more of a brother. And quite frankly I don’t have the slightest idea as to what I’m going to do without him next year. Matt has been the most loyal friend a kid could ever ask for. For that I thank him.

I can’t forget about Brian Hall ’12. Brian is one of the most outgoing kids ever and I love the fact that he does whatever he wants and doesn’t give a damn about what you think about him. Sometimes it lands him into sticky situations, but I respect him and love him for it.

I’m definitely going to miss these two fine gentlemen next year as we go our separate ways. I simply want to say I would do anything for either one of them on any day.

Grosse Pointe really is an amazing place. I’m not the most Grosse Pointey of people; I don’t wear boat shoes or Lacoste, but appreciate Grosse Pointe. It really is an incredible community. South is one of the most beautiful high schools there is; it’s academic standards are incredible, but it’s the people that make it great. The staff and the students  make it so great.

So there it is. Be you and don’t care what others think of you, just have fun. And seriously follow that “treat others as you want to be treated” thing. It’s actually a great philosophy to live by. Things will get rough, but lean on your family and friends, they’ll get you through the tough times. Keep your head up and do what makes you happy. Life is short, live it to the fullest.