From your future Editor in Chief: Help us help you

This has been a year of change, nationally and locally. Throughout it all, journalists have been there to tell the story.

Liz+Bigham+18+mentoring+page+editors+during+the+honors+journalism+issue.+

Liz Bigham ’18 mentoring page editors during the honors journalism issue.

Yes, I’m aware that people typically read the news off of Twitter’s explore page or Snapchat’s discover page. I do the same.

However, if you are reading this column right now, I would like to thank you for giving print newspaper a chance. Especially, I would like to thank you for giving this high school newspaper a chance.

I have been pursuing journalism since 7th grade. At first, it was just a fun class to take in middle school and then carry on with it in high school. Since receiving the position of a page editor sophomore year, I have been actively dedicated to this publication.

I can’t even begin to explain how much time the other editors and I spend in the Tower room. I think I have experienced every emotion in that room. Let me list a few of my most memorable moments. When Claire threw a dead centipede in my hair. When Ray filled the hood of my coat up with water without me knowing and I was soaking wet the rest of the day. When Holme would put on my coat, vest, or any sort of girls clothes. When someone hung my shoes and car keys on the ceiling fan. When Claire changed my school computer background to a photoshopped picture of Steve Harvey shirtless.

Although it may seem like most of the time in Tower is spent messing around with me, we are productive with our work. It was a weird feeling during the winter when we would finish publishing an issue Monday evening and would walk outside to be completely dark out. I’m proud of everything that we accomplished and I thank Erykah for being such a great role model.

It’s nice seeing people’s reaction to our work. I see people in third hours flipping through the pictures on the sports page. I see students at lunch pointing something out on page three to their friend. But I also see Towers on the floor in the hallway and shoved at the bottom of people’s lockers. Does it hurt a little seeing all my and the staff’s work not get recognized? It’s a little upsetting at first, but then I realize that I can’t force people to appreciate it. It makes the few situations where people come up to me praising my work feel even more special.

I’m excited for JackJohn and I to be the ones who take on this responsibility and work efficiently together to produce the best newspaper we can. That being said, I strongly hope and encourage that everybody reading this -students, teachers, administration, parents, and community members- to continue giving our paper a chance next year.

Please keep us a source for accurate information and diverse, entertaining coverage about the community.

Please keep allowing our staff to interview you.

Please keep reading the newspaper.

Please let us tell your story.