The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

All about Maria Mitzel

Any student involved in a club or activity has most likely crossed paths with Student Activities Director Maria Mitzel, encountered her welcoming persona and indulged in a candy or two from the bowl just inside her office.

Mitzel began working at South in the fall of 2008. She is a former kindergarten teacher and was also previously employed at other high schools, she said. Mitzel said once her sons got older, she wanted to better understand the high school community, prompting her to transfer to South.

One of Mitzel’s primary jobs is to coordinate building usage in the school and schedule activities so no group is interfering with another, she said.

“I plan honors night, graduation, all of the academic hall of fame and all of the caps and gowns,” Mitzel said. “I run the Generation of Promise program and I take care of all the club applications and getting them approved and everything like that.”

Additionally, Mitzel said she is also a support member for all of the class councils and for student association.

“When I met with the students planning Dancing With the South Stars, being able to see their vision come to life makes it special. And I think we have a great staff, and I think we have great kids,” Mitzel said.

Mitzel said the connections she has made with the students is by far her favorite part of her job.

“You certainly could probably go somewhere else and make more money, or there’s other jobs out there that have some more interest, but they don’t have the students and that’s the best part of it,” Mitzel said.

She said she loves spending time with students and seeing them grow, especially when some return from college and come to visit.

“Work is work no matter where you do it, and you can push papers, but it’s the interaction with students, getting to know them, getting to see them,” Mitzel said. “That’s what brings you to a school.”

President of Students 4 Life and president of the Recreational Water Sporting Club, Julia Turnbull ’18, said she has gotten to know Mitzel this year due to her leadership in various clubs. Turnbull said Mitzel is kind and organized and makes sure events and scheduling run smoothly for students who are in charge of different clubs.

“She knows everything about everything and she always has what you need when you’re there which is really nice,” Turnbull said. “She wants to help out and she wants to make sure all the activities go well and that South is well represented.”

Mitzel said the students are what make her never want to leave South.

“I tell everyone that the paperwork you can do anywhere, but it’s the kids that make the job special, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.” Mitzel said.