The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Happening Now

Week of 4/10/17-4/14/17

Donald Trump speaking next to his Supreme Court nominee, Neil Gorsuch. Gorsuch was confirmed as the newest justice on April 10.

"President Donald Trump with Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch at the White House" by White House official photographer on Wikipedia Commons is in the public domain.

Neil Gorsuch confirmed as Supreme Court justice

Neil Gorsuch was confirmed as the 113th member of the Supreme Court on April 10.  Gorsuch took the seat once occupied by Judge Antonin Scalia, who died in February 2016.  President Donald Trump nominated Gorsuch on Jan. 31, 2017, and the Senate voted to confirm Gorsuch on April 7 with a bipartisan 54-45 vote.  Gorsuch was confirmed in the Rose Garden of the White House, with the president and all other eight Supreme Court justices present.

Murder-suicide at an elementary school in San Bernardino

A murder-suicide occurred at North Park Elementary School in San Bernardino, California around 10:30 a.m. on April 10.  Police said that a lone gunman visited a female teacher at the school before first killing her and then himself.  Two students are said to be in critical condition at a local hospital as a result of the incident.  The identities of the teacher, the gunman and the injured students are not currently known.  The school was placed on lockdown and students were eventually transferred to Cal State University.  Parents were asked to report to a local high school to have their IDs verified before being allowed to pick up their children.

Student journalists at Kansas high school get new principal fired

Student journalists at Pittsburg High School in Kansas uncovered sketchy information about their new principal that eventually led to her termination.  Amy Robertson, the newly-hired principal, was found to have lied about her college education.  The students learned from Robertson that she received her masters and doctoral degrees from Corllins University.  They discovered that Corllins was actually a discredited online school that was associated with several scams.  The students also found some of the information Robertson provided them to be odd, such as that she was currently living in Dubai or that her qualifications didn’t add up.  The journalism adviser, Emily Smith, said that she was very proud of her students.

Consumers find dead bat inside salad bought from Florida Walmart

Two people who bought a salad from a Florida Walmart ate some of the food before realizing there were remains of a bat inside the container.  Currently the two people are in good health, however they are being monitored for signs of rabies.  A Center for Disease Control and Prevention laboratory where the remains were sent to be tested said that the transmission of rabies from eating a dead animal was extremely uncommon.  Walmart removed this item from its shelves immediately after being notified of the discovery, and the salad company Fresh Express issued a recall notice to ensure no other salads were affected.

Man dragged off overbooked United Airlines flight

A screaming man was dragged off a United Airlines flight by security on Sunday after it was announced that four people needed to get off the plane to make room for some of the airline’s employees to fly to Louisville.  No one volunteered to give up their seat, so the airline decided to choose at random.  Two of the selected people got off the flight without much of a problem, but an older Chinese man was forcibly dragged off the plane twice to make room for the employees.  Other passengers shared their disgust at how the man was treated, and others eventually got off the plane on their own in order to not witness the situation any longer.  It is unclear if the situation will be thoroughly investigated or not.