The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Filed under Featured Content, News

Happening Now

Week of 3/27/17-3/31/17

"Raiders vs. Dolphins" by Pete Sheffield on Flickr is licensed under the Creative Commons CC BY-SA 2.0 license.

The Oakland Raiders are approved by the NFL to move to Las Vegas

The Oakland Raiders were approved by NFL team owners with a vote of 31-1 to move their team from Oakland to Las Vegas. Sin City has been trying to get a team for years, but the NFL has repeatedly avoided the largest legal gambling city in the United States. Legal gambling continues to be an issue with the move as the NFL is notoriously against the practice in their sport.  NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says that the move has not changed his or the NFL’s negative view towards legal gambling. “We are not changing our position as it relates to legalized sports gambling. We still do not think it is a positive thing,” Goodell said, according to Peter King of MMQB.com.

Uber is officialy resuming all of its self-driving car tests

Uber resumes their self-driving test program in Tempe, Arizona after being shut down for three days due to a car crash. The crash occurred on the real streets when the Uber driver operating the autonomous vehicle in self-driving mode failed to yield to the other affected car. An Uber engineer and driver were in the Uber test car. There were no serious injuries, although the crash caused a suspension of the driving program in three of their test cities: Tempe, Arizona; San Francisco, California; and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

New Health Care Bill was removed from scheduled Congress debate and vote

The newly proposed healthcare bill was pulled from debate and vote in the House of Representatives. House Speaker Paul Ryan and the Republicans of the House decided to pull the health care bill because Ryan had reason to believe that the bill would not get enough votes from the House of Representatives to pass. President Donald Trump and Ryan stated that the votes would have been very close, but could not risk it. Ryan has said that the bill will continue to be worked on to ensure its approval by the House of Representatives.

Dozens of people killed in U.S. sanctioned airstrike in Mosul

The United States led an airstrike coalition against ISIS in Mosul, but the airstrike did not go as planned. The airstrike unfortunately hit an ISIS truck filled with explosives that killed some innocent civilians and destroyed some of the nearby buildings. Dozens are dead and 112 bodies have been found so far, but it is not clear exactly how many are dead and how many are alive. It is also not clear the amount of ISIS soldiers affected and civilians affected. The coalition has acknowledged the strike. The United States is investigating the situation further.

London Terror Attacker was using WhatsApp shortly before the attack

Investigators have identified the Westminster Bridge attacker, Khalid Masood, in the London Terror Attack that occurred last week. It was discovered that the attacker , Khalid Masood, used WhatsApp shortly before the attack in which four people were killed. There is no proof yet that Masood was working for ISIS, but other attacks in the world have seen the attacker send a message through their mobile device to ISIS before the attack to inform and direct. Investigators are trying to obtain the encrypted WhatsApp message to prove this suspicion or find out more.