Moving On: Shannon Horan ’17 finds her muse in the campus of her dreams

What are you planning to major in at CCS?

It’s called communication design. They renamed the graphic design program– basically its graphic design, but they call it something else.

What is the application process like?

Honestly, I just winged it. Nobody I knew was applying to CCS and I just figured I’ll do my best. You basically had to upload you artwork; you could either go in and show them in person or upload them online as JPEGS. I did the online thing, and I heard back from an email two days later, and they said this is satisfactory for our communication design. The rest of the application was very easy, it was all online. I didn’t have to write an essay or anything. It was the easiest application I had.

What made you choose CCS?

Their job placement is really good. If I wanted to really get a job, that was my best bet. Grand Valley, I toured there after I applied and I didn’t like it. CCS is the most well-known school that I got into.

Describe CCS. Are there dorms? Where is it located? Student body size?

There are dorms. Student body size I’m not sure, but I think it’s about the size of South. I’m staying in the dorms. A lot of people don’t because it’s so close. A lot of people that live around here just commute. There’s two campuses, the Four Campus is right across from the DIA, that’s not the one I’m staying at, that’s the fine arts one. I’m staying at the Tauben Center, which is sort of in the middle of nowhere, but it’s not that far from the Four campus, it’s like a three minute drive. There’s a shuttle back and forth too, so if I wanted to do things or take classes there, I can. The Tauben center dorms are beautiful, they’re really new. I went there this summer for a summer camp for three weeks so I know what it’s like to live there. They have high ceilings and the dorms have huge windows. They’re gorgeous. There’s connected bathrooms in each room, so it’s not like sharing bathrooms or anything. It’s really nice. I think they do pack kids into the rooms, but honestly, it’s worth it. I’ll have a couple extra roommates, but it’s a really nice room.

Art Fest gives students an opportunity to show off the pieces they’ve been working on since the beginning of the year.

Photos by Margot Baer ’18

Is there anything specific that CCS does that helps with job placement?

I think they have a lot of shows and things where people who are looking to hire come and see people’s work. I think that’s how it works, I’m not sure. The people I’ve talked to said they’re like ‘yeah all of my friends in that major got hired before they even graduated’. CCS is most famous for automotive design, because we’re in Detroit obviously, the head of international design at Chrysler went to CCS. A lot of big names go there. I think they just have shows and people just come and recruit you.

What have you done throughout high school to prepare yourself for CCS?

I took a lot of art classes. My strategy when starting at South at first I wanted to do drawing and painting because I was like that’s what people do, but I mean I like drawing and painting, it’s fun and it’s good that I took it, because I like to have at least base skills in most mediums because if I want to do something with that I’m not like I don’t know what to do. I took a lot of art classes, basically. If I’m giving advice to people, I would just say start early. Don’t wait until sophomore year to take concepts and materials, take that first so you can take whatever art classes you want. Then if you’re like me, by senior year you can just take three art classes.

What kind of art is your preferred medium?

I like doing digital art on the computer. I like using photoshop and stuff. It’s my favorite because with traditional art if I’m not that motivated and then I also have to go get my paints and get everything and set everything up then I’m not going to get out of bed to do that. The kind that I do is great. You sit down at the computer and everything you need is right there. You have all of your tools in one spot, and I find that it’s the least limiting. There’s less of a barrier between what you imagine in your head and what you make.