The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Filed under Featured Content, News

Anticipation builds for new Subway, Farms Market buildings

As the Subway restaurant at the corner of Fisher and Grosse Pointe Boulevard prepares to open its doors to the public, construction of a new and improved Fresh Farms Market will soon be underway.

South students await news on the popular Subway restaurant’s new makeover, as well as new features. Subway student employee Preston Regal ‘18 has the information on Subway’s new details at the corner of Fisher and Grosse Pointe Boulevard.

“The new building? I’ve been inside. It’s really cool, there’s Subway and Mama de Luca’s Pizza, which will probably open on the thirteenth if all goes well, but that’s not a guarantee.” Regal said.

In addition to Mama DeLuca’s, Subway will be sharing its brand-new estate with Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt, and customers will have access to a brand new seating area on the roof according to Regal.

“I know that Subway is really trying to become more inviting to students,” Regal said.

Regal also confirmed the demolition of the former Subway as well as its neighbor Metropolitan Tanning, which Fresh Farms Market currently uses for storage. The remains of both buildings will be cleared away, making room that the new Farms will eventually occupy according to Regal.

Infographic by Aidan Walsh ’20

Grosse Pointe South student Ben Corrion ‘20 expressed his expectations and hopes for the new Subway building.

“I think the rooftop patio is going to be very nice. Let’s just hope that kids are allowed to be up there during lunch,” Corrion said.

Corrion also went on to talk about his thoughts for the reconstruction of Fresh Farms Market, a stop he typically makes about once a week.

I think the rooftop patio is going to be very nice. Let’s just hope that kids are allowed to be up there during lunch.”

— Ben Corrion '20

“Personally, I think they should have a second floor, just for more food,” Corrion said.

Subway won’t be the only restaurant on Fisher to boast new perks. Co-owner of Fresh Farms Market Larry Najjar gave the full scoop on all there is to know about the new building.

“The new building is going to be about three times the size, so we can significantly service our customers,” Najjar said.

The all new building has been in the making for nearly two years, and has been a grueling process according to Najjar.

“It’s very tedious,” Najjar said. I mean we have to space out every foot of the store and figure out how much space we want to allocate for, for instance, pizza, or salad bar, or the meat department, or the produce department, and fit all those little pieces of the puzzle together hopefully the right way.”

However, the long hours seem to be put to good use. Plans for the new Farms Market now include a full second story with cooking classes and room for more, Najjar said. Extra space on the second story is yet to be given a definite purpose.

“We also have some space allocated for another restaurant, wine bar, community area, we haven’t really figured out what that’s going to be,but we do have extra space allocated for something else,” Najjar said.

Fresh Farms Market will also have new additions such as sushi, a large salad bar, more pizza, more bakery offerings, and about three times current inventory in products to fit the triple size space according to Najjar.

“What we wanted to do with the new Farms Market is push beyond here what we’re doing at the old Farms Market,” Najjar said.

Construction of the new Fresh Farms Market is expected to begin early summer or late spring of this year, and the new building is projected to open about a year after.

“It’s an evolution,” Najjar said.