The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Disney’s Beauty and the Beast review

The Beauty and the Beast live-action remake has received critic ratings of 70% from Rotten Tomatoes. Photo from Creative Commons.

Disney’s remake of the beloved Beauty and the Beast hit the theaters last weekend and has made over 350 million dollars worldwide. After showing up to three sold out showings, I was finally able to attend the film, and to be quite honest, I found it to be overrated and lacking in many key aspects the original film demonstrated.

As the first scene opens, you are shown a man who is applying makeup as he prepares himself for an extravagant ball. The narrator plays a significant role in these first few scenes as he describes the kings selfish ways. As a result, it turned him into the Beast.

When the camera switches over to Belle, my negative feelings started to burst in. While I have previously loved any role Emma Watson played, this one was different. Her voice is supposed to get the audience’s attention right away, which definitely did not happen. Throughout most of the movie, Watson’s voice was underwhelming.

The original 1991 Beauty and the Beast had the perfect balance between the musical and acting aspects, while the 2017 version was seriously lacking of this and instead, seemed to focus on Emma Watson’s severely auto-tuned voice.

Though I found the film’s imbalance of the musical and acting aspects to be disappointing, I was able to appreciate several of the themes apparent in the movie. For example, a scene which captured my attention the most was one of the final ones, when the curse has been broken, and one of the male characters, Le Fou, links arms with another man, while others reunite with their loved ones as well. This scene shows that love knows no gender, and validates the social movements taking place today.

While the movie wasn’t a complete letdown, it definitely did not level out to my childhood favorite movie. The rotten tomatoes review of a 70% sums it up perfectly.