The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Happening Now

Week of 3/21/17-3/24/17

Photo by Gage Skidmore on Wikipedia (Licensed under Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0)

According to sources, President Donald Trump is expected to appoint attorney George Conway,   husband of White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, to the position of heading the Department of Justice’s Civil Division. As a lawyer, Conway has been a part of numerous big cases for the government and if appointed to DOJ, he’d be working closely to quell lawsuits against President Trump’s travel bans.

Coming soon, popular children’s show, Sesame Street, will be incorporating a new character — a muppet with autism. Her name is Julia and she will making her first television appearance in April. Writers wanted a complex character with autism because “it is different for every single person who has autism,” according to senior writer Christine Ferraro.

On Monday, North Korea made a statement saying that military threats coming from America did not scare them. North Korea has claimed they’ve been building up a strong nuclear program in their country, and therefore they wouldn’t be afraid of a military strike coming from the USA. Also, in an effort to develop a more initimidating world presence, North Korea has seen a great influx in weapons development which has violated Security Council resolutions from the United Nations.

Currently, there’s a lawsuit to save an Army veteran that was in 2 tours in Afghanistan from being deported to Mexico. Miguel Perez, Jr. says he’s been fighting deportation for 5 years because he thought his military service made him a US citizen by default. Perez, is a Mexico native, but was raised in Chicago. The lawsuit became the focus of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) while Perez was serving his prison sentence for selling cocaine.

Now, certain flights from countries in the Middle East and Africa to the US have a ban on some electronic devices in carry on luggage. The emergency rule applies to 9 specific airlines from 10 airports in 8 countries, like Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Turkey. Passengers will be banned from bringing these electronic devices larger than a cell phone onto the the plane with them, and now have to put objects like laptops, tablets and cameras in their checked luggage.