The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Happening Now

Week of Feb. 20-Feb. 26

Eddie Van Halen performing at the New Haven Coliseum. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

Photo by Carl Lender.

Photo by Carl Lender.

Rock legend Eddie Van Halen helps bring music back to schools

Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Eddie Van Halen has donated 75 guitars from his personal guitar collection and given them to public schools for students to have the opportunity to learn music. The Mr. Holland’s Opus Foundation, a non profit organization, delivers 1,800 instruments yearly to low-income schools in order to provide over 10,000 children with education in music. The idea of these instruments is that students have daily music class during school, gain musical skills and graduate, passing the instruments on to the incoming students. Research done by the NAMM Foundation showed that children who learn music are less likely to have drug and alcohol related issues in the future, have a higher IQ and get better grades in school. Van Halen participates as a charitable worker for the foundation, as he says he is not sure where he would be without music.

Judge blocks Texas from defunding Planned Parenthood

In Dec. 2016, Texas cut off funding from Medicaid to some Planned Parenthood groups as authorities accused the organization of selling fetal body parts. On Tuesday, a federal judge ruled that Texas cannot withhold Medicaid money from the medial provider. The judge stated that Texas ruled against the Planned Parenthood organization without evidence showing any actual program violation that should warrant the termination of funds. A video secretly recorded by an anti-abortion group (Center for Medical Progress) was shown to the court by Ken Paxton, a Texas attorney. It was used as a way to prove that Planned Parenthood was selling fetal body parts, however the judge claimed there was no proof within the video that the organization violated any ethical standards. The jury that indicted the men filming the secret video were the same jury who cleared Planned Parenthood of accusations.

Man arrested in connection to the 2005 disappearance of a Georgian high school teacher

Georgia police made an arrest on Wednesday of a 33-year-old man involved in the 2005 disappearance of a high school teacher. On Oct. 22, 2005, Tara Grinstead was taken from her home in Ocilla, Georgia as a 30-year-woman. The man arrested has been identified as Ryan Alexander Duke, a former student at the high school where Grinstead taught. Charged with burglary, aggravated assault, murder and the concealing of a death, authorities have suspected foul play in this case. In 2005, a manhunt began after Grinstead’s disappearance, but there was a lack of evidence in her home to prove any case. The case was kept open, and recently, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation interviewed subjects with knowledge, leading them to the discovery of Duke. The investigation to find Grinstead’s remains is still ongoing.

Professor has taken selfie for every day for past 30 years

Karl Baden, a 60-year-old resident of Cambridge, Massachusetts has taken a “selfie” everyday for the past 30 years. Prior to the invention of the selfie, Baden took a picture of himself in black and white as a way to contemplate mortality and aging. Baden, a Boston College professor has not approved of the modern self-portrait, the “selfie”, but he has brought an abundance of recognition to his project through the selfie, as it has been exhibited in many United States galleries in cities such as New York City and Boston. Baden’s project turns 30 on Thursday, however he claims he has no reason to stop. The project reflects multiple themes, including death and a man’s self-immortalization. The project began on Feb. 23, 1987 and since that date, Baden has posed with the same facial expression captured by the same 35mm camera, tripod, lighting and backdrop.

Majority of Trump Voters turn off Award Shows when Celebrities Get Political

Shortly after the recent awards shows, a survey taken by the National Research Group has shown that the majority of Trump voters are not interested in hearing the political views of celebrities on television in their acceptance speeches and discussions. The researchers surveyed 800 people (half Donald Trump voters, and half Hillary Clinton voters), and the results showed that about two out of every three Trump voters have turned of their television during a politically-aimed acceptance speech, while 19% of Hillary Clinton voters do the same. 44% of Trump voters have found acceptance speeches to become “too political”, while Clinton voters have enjoyed listening to the politics. 68% of Trump voters revealed that they disliked award speeches, while Clinton voters rounded to about 23%.