The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Happening Now

Week of Feb. 13- Feb. 19

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license. This image was originally posted to Flickr by Dave Hogg.

Mike Ilitch dies: The owner of Little Caesar Enterprises Inc. as well as the Detroit Red Wings died at age 87 Friday. Ilitch believed in the city of Detroit even up until his last days.. In addition to helping better the city of Detroit, Ilitch invested money in the Fox Theatre and Wayne State University. All of the money Ilitch made was distributed back into the city he loved, forever impacting the city of Detroit.

Verizon is bringing back unlimited data: Starting the Feb. 13, Verizon customers can purchase unlimited data, talk and text for $80. The new plan allows for contact to Mexico and Canada in addition to 10 GB of hotspot data usage. The company originally removed the unlimited data plan in 2011 since users who went over 22 GB’s of data were slowing the fast LTE speeds for everyone else using the cell service. Since other top competitors of Verizon have kept their unlimited data plans, they decided they needed to revise the data plans they offered.

Couple loses nearly $2,000 in puppy scam: In St. Petersburg, Florida, a couple shelled out nearly $2,000 and lost it all due to a scam. Sharran Cooper and his girlfriend found an English Bulldog through a Facebook page, and due to rave reviews on the facebook page the couple thought they were purchasing from a reputable breeder. The asking price was $1,600 for the dog and after countless excuses, the dog was never delivered to their home. Even after choosing another dog, the couple never received their puppy and was cheated out $1,600.

Apple stocks hit an all time high: Apple’s share hit an all time high on Feb. 13 with the stock’s closing at $133.29. This topped their previous record high of $133, coming close to their all time high of $134.54. The stock market value for Apple is currently $700 billion, which puts them $120 billion ahead of Google-owned parent company Alphabet Inc., the number two company. Major investments have been made in Apple and the new technology has put them ahead in the stock market tremendously.

Candy company gets sued: A women in California is suing Mike and Ike after they “tricked” her into buying a half-empty box of their candy. After paying $4 for a box of Mike and Ike’s, the women is filing a lawsuit. She claims that because the candy was behind glass that she was not able to inspect the box she was purchasing and that since she was not able to shake the box she ended up with 46 percent air in her box of candy. After inspecting another box of candy manufactured by the same company, Hot Tamales, the women decided it was unfair and filed a lawsuit.