The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Course selection: More students find themselves overburdened

Cartoon by Riley Lynch '18

Cartoon by Riley Lynch '18

Cartoon by Riley Lynch '18

Editorial Board

It’s midnight on a Tuesday. Your eyes and thoughts begin to blur as sleep’s dreaded grip takes hold.

A combination of sports and extracurriculars has just now allowed you to make a considerable dent in your homework. If you stay up, your brain will be as good as mush tomorrow. On the other hand, are you willing to jeopardize your grades for a little more sleep?

It’s at this point when anxiety usually sets in. Frustration. Regret for mismanaging your time. No student or adult can function at their optimal level with inadequate sleep.

We believe over-scheduling oneself is a primary concern for students at South. With the expectation that colleges look for a challenging class load, it’s often that students find themselves taking classes far too demanding of their time and well being.

As a staff, we want to provide insight to students that will hopefully make their course selection decision on Feb. 1 a little more straightforward.

First, figure out what the appropriate amount of work is for you. How many hours a night of schoolwork are you willing to handle? Everyone is different, just because your friends are taking all honors and AP classes does not obligate you to do the same. You know your limit, be true to it.

Then, consider your interests.

Studying for a topic you’re interested in will be much more tolerable than a subject you dread. At South, there’s a class for everyone. Tailor your schedule to your strong suits.

Finally, don’t spend the days and nights leading up to Feb. 1 worrying about colleges and their expectations. It reflects better on an individual if he/she takes a regular-level class and performs exceedingly well than it would if he/she took a harder level class and struggled.

Although the thought of taking all honors and AP and magically being able to handle it may be alluring, it’s not seated in reality. A healthy, stable life requires balance.

According to Johns Hopkins Student Assistance Program, prioritizing academics at the expense of personal factors like relationships and exercise can lead to a decline in academic performance.

The process is circular. Neglect personal life for academics, your personal life will suffer.  Neglect school work, and the stress it causes you will affect your personal relationships. All aspects of your life must live in harmony for the sake of your well being.

We encourage students at South to challenge themselves. There’s a difference between a healthy risk and one that could be detrimental to one’s life balance. Don’t be afraid of taking that extra step, but be sure to know where the path leads.