The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Girls varsity basketball falls to cross town rival Grosse Pointe North, 52-23

Adam Cervone '17, Staff Writer

The girl’s varsity basketball team lost to Grosse Pointe North, 52-23, at North’s home court, this past Tuesday.

“The atmosphere was different because we were playing North and there’s a lot of pressure to do well when we play them,” Savannah Srebernak ‘19 said.

At the end of the first quarter, North already established a lead of 10-7 over South.

“I don’t think we performed our best; we definitely could’ve played better,” Srebernak said.

For the rest of the game, North widened the lead, with the scores of 21-14, 38-20 and 52-23 at the end of each quarter.

“Our team will try to improve as individuals, so in the long run, we can be better as a whole,” Srebernak said.

Considering that South only has one senior, the team is looking for more experience on the court, Maria Hessburg ‘19 said.

One stand out performance was from Sayana Roy ‘17, who had 12 of the team’s 23 points.

South has had four wins and four losses in the season so far, with their latest win against Chippewa Valley.

“Our record isn’t very good but we are getting better as the season progresses,” Srebernak said.

Photo by Adam Cervone ’17

Tonight, the Blue Devils take on Romeo at 7:00.

“In the next game our team looks to put forth our greatest effort and only make aggressive mistakes,” Hessburg  said.