The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Happening Now

Week of Jan. 16-Jan. 22

"Astronaut Eugene A. Cernan, prime crew lunar module pilot of the Apollo 10 lunar orbit mission" by NASA is licensed under CC by 2.0

Olivia Sheffer '17, Assistant Business Manager

Last man on the moon dies

Eugene A. Cernan, who was the last astronaut to visit the moon, died at 82 due to ongoing health issues, according to his family. Cernan had been with NASA for 13 years; he was the second man to walk in space and one of the three men that had flown to the moon twice. Cernan hoped to inspire the youth to study science, engineering, mathematics and technology.  He also hoped that American leaders would make it possible for him to not be the last man on the moon. He will best be remembered as the commander of Apollo 17 in 1972.

The oldest gorilla dies

Colo was the first gorilla ever to live to 60 years old and also the first to be raised in human care. At 60 years old, she lived two decades longer that the average gorilla. She had three children, 16 grandchildren, 12 great grandchildren and three great-great grandchildren. Colo was a beloved animal for the Columbus Zoo and will be buried on the premises.

Trump puts the finishing touches on his Obamacare replacement plan

President-elect Donald Trump is finishing his plan to replace Obamacare with a health insurance that provides “insurance for everybody.” Trump has not given any details as to just how he is going to replace Obamacare, but he will demand that drug companies negotiate with medicare and medicaid to lower prices for medication. He has made a promise that his health care plan will cover more people and cost less money.

The flying car prototype may be tested in 2017

Airbus is the leading producer for commercial helicopters and some military planes. They announced that they want to test a prototype for the first flying car by the end of 2017. The car seats one passenger and has technology to make it fly like a propeller driven airplane and land like a helicopter. In addition to the prototype hopefully being produced by the end of 2017, Airbus is hoping to have them available to the consumer by 2021, but just for short flights. In addition to making the innovative self driven car, Airbus plans on making the vehicles electric.

The superbug that may be spreading

Carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) may be spreading more than previously thought, and may also be spreading from person to person without showing symptoms. These germs are part of a family that is particularly difficult to kill since they are so resistant to antibiotics. The disease is typically spread through hospitals and long-term care facilities. Statistically, each year this disease infects 9,300 people and kills 600 but these numbers are on the rise.