The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Happening Now

Week of 1/9/17-1/13/17

Kim Jong-Un has said that North Korea is ready to fire nuclear missiles at the U.S. at any time. President-elect Donald Trump is responding to this.

"Photorealistic Sketch of Kim Jong-Un" by P388388 on Wikipedia Commons is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International License

Adam Cervone '17, Staff Writer

North Korea tells Trump It will shoot missiles “at any time.”

North Korea told Trump that it will be able to launch an intercontinental missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead to the mainland United States. Kim Jong Un said the country is very close to the technology threatening the U.S. and that the U.S. is fully to blame for the development. The U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said the U.S. would be able to shoot down any missile aimed at it. Despite the ongoing talk, Bruce Bennett, a senior defense analyst at the Rand Corporation, said that North Korea does not have a strong enough missile to deliver a nuclear warhead.

US Navy Ship fires warning shots at Iranian ships.

On Sunday, the Islamic Republic’s ships closed in at a high rate of speed on a U.S.Navy Destroyer. The Destroyer fired a series of warning shots back at the Iranian ships. Before the shots rang off, the USS Mahan tried to tell the ships to stop with radio transmission, however the ships did not respond, leading to the shots being fired. The Iranian boats came within 900 yards off the USS Mahan, making too close for comfort for the destroyer. In November of last year, an Iranian on a small boat focused a machine gun on a U.S. Navy helicopter. In the beginning of 2016, there have been 19 risky interactions between the U.S. and Iran.   

Suspect in Jerusalem truck attack may have ties to ISIS.

28-year-old Fadi Qunbar ran a truck into a group of soldiers, killing four and injuring 10 people. There are thoughts that the motives may be ISIS related, according to the Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The suspect was shot and killed following the event. The prime minister continued to say that there are multiple signs that show that he was a supporter of the Islamic State. Nine other people associated with the attack have been arrested, with five of them being directly related to the killer. A militant fundamentalist Islamic organization called Hamas praised the attacker on Twitter.

Suspects of the infamous Kim Kardashian robbery have been taken by the French police.

In October of last year, icon Kim Kardashian was held at gunpoint in her hotel room by a gang of men as they stole 10 million dollars worth of cash and jewelry. There seems to be five men that entered the hotel; three of them stayed downstairs and made the concierge open the door to the mansion. Two of the men went inside and took two cell phones and some jewelry, then tied Kardashian West up and put her in the bathtub. According to the Paris prosecutor’s office, there was a gun held to the head of Kardashian West. One of the most prized jewels that was taken was a 4.5 million dollar ring as well as a jewelry box with 5.6 million dollars worth of items inside. The French police have detained 17 people to be questioned about the robbery. The ages of the men are between 23 and 73 years of age, each being held up to 96 hours of questions.

Today marks iPhone’s 10th birthday.

Ten years ago, on Jan. 9, 2007, Steve Jobs introduced to the world the iPhone with the line, “Every once in a while, a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything.” The first iPhone was a struggle at the start, with Nokia and Blackberry running the phone industry. The iPhone was everything that the others were not. The iPhone lacked a physical keyboard, was more flat and utilized the touchscreen. Just last year, Apple told the world that they have sold one billion iPhones. “iPhone has become one of the most important, world-changing and successful products in history,” Apple CEO Tim Cook said after the milestone. “It’s become more than a constant companion. iPhone is truly an essential part of our daily life and enables much of what we do throughout the day.”