The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Happening Now

Week of 12/5/16-12/9/16

Jill Stein speaking at the Green Party Presidential Candidate Town Hall. Taken at the Mesa Public Library in Mesa, Arizona.

Flickr "Jill Stein" by Gage Skidmore is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

Mary Grace O'Shea '17, Staff Writer

Michigan to move ahead with presidential recount

U.S. District Judge Mark Goldsmith announced early Monday that he is issuing an order for Michigan election officials to begin recounting presidential ballots on Dec. 5 at noon. Michigan will become the second state in the U.S. to move ahead with a recount of ballots for the 2016 presidential election. Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein requested a recount following the Nov. election after president-elect Donald Trump won Michigan’s 16 electoral votes, allowing him to win by 0.2 percent of the votes in Michigan. Stein has also issued recount efforts in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, where Trump defeated Clinton narrowly. Since the election, Stein has raised $7 million to fund the recount efforts, after hearing that there were possible hacks in the state’s key counties.

1.9 million lbs. of undercooked chicken recalled

Products from the National Steak and Poultry issued a recall for more than 1.9 million lbs. of its ready-to-eat chicken on Monday. The United States Department of Agriculture announced the recall, stating the products have possibly been sold slightly undercooked, leading to bacterial infections causing potential gastrointestinal illness. The chicken products are sold previously cooked and ready to to heat and serve. A recall was also issued on Nov. 23 due to the same reasons, including 17,000 lbs. of chicken. There have been no confirmed reports of health issues, including illness or death, so far.

Justin Ross Harris sentenced to life for son’s hot car death

Justin Ross Harris, 36, was found guilty last month for leaving his 22-month-old son in his car in Atlanta, Georgia in June 2014. Harris left his son, Cooper Harris, in his carseat while he went to work in his office for about seven hours. The man claimed he had forgotten to drop the boy off at the nursery. Harris’ son died of hypothermia as his body overheated due to an outside temperature of about 90F. The five week trial announced that the man was sending dirty messages to underaged girls while leaving his son in the car. Judge Mary Staley Clark recently issued an extra 32 years in prison for Harris, reaching the maximum penalty allowed. In Nov., Harris was also convicted on eight counts for malice murder, child cruelty and sex crimes. Prosecutors said Harris’ death sentence for his son was planned, as he wanted to leave his family in order to have affairs with other women. Harris’ family testified in his defense, stating he was a “loving father.”

American Atheists: ‘Make America Great Again’ by skipping church

The American Atheists have just released their 2016 Christmas billboard using President-elect Donald Trump’s “Make America Great Again” famous slogan in an attempt to convince the young generation to skip church this year. One of the nation’s most well-known secular groups announced their billboards have been launched throughout the nation, trying to rid the country of what is known as a religious holiday and supporting the nonbelievers. David Silverman, president of American Atheists, said they are working on fighting the stigma many atheists face in the United States. The billboard reads “‘Make America Great Again’ -Skip Church!” The first billboard will be displayed this Dec. in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Recent research by the Public Religion Research Institute says about 39 percent of people aged 18-29 now identify themselves as religiously unaffiliated.

Donald Trump picks Ben Carson for HUD Secretary

Ben Carson has reconsidered his initial hesitation to become President-elect Donald Trump’s United States Department of Housing and Urban Development secretary, and has accepted the position. Donald Trump announced on Monday that he will nominate Carson for the cabinet position of HUD secretary, which will be confirmed by the Senate once Trump is officially in office. Trump stated that him and Carson share similar ideas, working towards economic revival, especially in inner-cities in which job rates are at an incredible low. Carson was a former rival for Trump’s GOP nomination, originally stating that he would prefer to work from the outside, not from the inside.