The Redford Theatre is hidden gem in Detroit

Olivia Mlynarek '19, Staff Writer

I knew that my Saturday afternoon trip to the Redford Theatre in Detroit to see the classic film To Kill a Mockingbird would be something that would make my weekend. Me, being a nerd for old movies and things pertaining it had been wanting to see the movie since freshman year, when my English teacher mentioned there would be a showing of the book To Kill a Mockingbird. I had seen the film before, but never did I know that viewing it on the big screen would be a much more enjoyable and positive experience.

The Redford Theatre is hidden in the depths of Detroit in an area behind the shadows and not known to all who are familiar with the area. The theatre is located on 17360 Lahser Rd, in Detroit. I love Detroit and all things good about the city, so I was excited when I found out about this cool and exciting place.

When looking upon the outside of the Redford, it is surrounded by flashing yellow lights that outline the giant Redford sign. This sign is something that people can see from all the way down the street and is the first thing that people see when they come upon the establishment. The multi-colored brick building and the entire atmosphere of the movie theatre from the outside with its giant yellow marquis that overhung the sidewalk. This made me feel like I was going back in time to see a movie in the 1930s.

Every movie that is shown at the Redford has different show times to fit any schedule. The show times can range from an evening show on a Friday night, a matinee show on a Saturday or even a evening show on a Saturday night. Each show is different, as some have special guest appearances or other special events related to the show.

The productions the theatre plays can vary. The Redford shows everything from classic movies to musicals, according to what time of the year it is. Seeing To Kill a Mockingbird was really cool because Mary Badham, who played Scout in the film, spoke before it played. This was the highlight of my afternoon.

The small lobby is always crowded before the show. Packed in every space is something different going on. There are many volunteers collecting tickets as you enter, there’s a small display of old t-shirts that reflect the shows the theater has shown in the past or is showing, and sometimes, if you pick the right show to go to, there is a person from the movie signing autographs and taking pictures.

As you take your seat you are entertained and found tapping your foot to the music that surrounds the atmosphere of the room. Before the show begins and during the intermission. The theatre has a live organist playing. The Redford had the organ and the orchestra pit newly restored, making the musical experience bring the show to life.  

The design of the theatre is Japanese. Parts of the walls are handpainted with beautiful details of Japanese women in flowery and traditional Japanese clothing. There are also several wooden carved windows along the walls that are indescribable and make the theatre have a look of a house or something.  

To preserve this very important historic aspect of the theatre the theatre underwent and is still undergoing a very effective restoration effort to preserve the theatre so that it can continue to be enjoyed by all audiences in the years to come.

The old but vintage appearance and touch of everything that the theatre has is something that makes it unique and superior to any other average modern day movie theater. Each part of the Redford makes it more special and different as any person can see this when they come to the theatre.

With the lovely design, hospitality, and features, the Redford Theatre is truly a great place that shows that Detroit truly has hidden Gems that will continue to stun and surprise many people for generations.The Redford is a great place that can turn any normal night out into a wonderful and memorable one.

Tickets can be bought on the Redford’s website or upfront at the ticket booth at a price of $5.00. 

Here is a schedule of upcoming shows at the Redford theatre:

Classic Cartoon Festival!– November 26 Sat. at 2:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.

Tickets: $5.00

White Christmas-December 2, 3, Fri. and Sat. at 8:00 p.m. and Sat. matinee at 2:00 p.m.

Tickets: $5.00

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation– December 9, 10, Fri. and Sat. 8:00 at p.m.

Tickets: $5.00

The Polar Express– December 10, Sat. matinee at 2:00 p.m.

Tickets: $5.00

The Redford Theatre Christmas Show– December 11, Sun. at 3:00 p.m.

Tickets: Adults- $10.00 and Kids(12 & Under)- $5.00

It’s a Wonderful Life– December 16, 17, Fri. and Sat. at 8:00 p.m. and Sat. matinee at 2:00 p.m.

Tickets: $7.00

The Bishop’s Wife– December 18, Sun. at 2:00 p.m.

Tickets: $7.00

World premiere of The Horse Dancer– January 17, 2017, Thurs. At 7:00 p.m.(doors open at 6 p.m.)

Tickets: $25.00