Christina Thomas, Milton Thomas and Donna Redd talk with Mr. Zaranek at South’s Open House

Photo by Cameron Francis '17

Teachers and staff hosts fifth annual Open House.

Cam Francis, Business Manager

The fifth annual Open House at South was hosted in an effort to attract prospective high school students and their families. A number of South faculty and staff were in attendance to greet and inform families. Among those present was Principal Moussa Hamka.

“We want to market our school, let the community know what a fine product we offer,” Hamka said.

Several Grosse Pointe families enroll their children in private education until the eighth grade and then evaluate their options for a high school education.

“Many parents haven’t toured our buildings or haven’t had a chance to connect with our staff,” Hamka said. “When families come in, we have a representative from each department to help them out.”

Harry Campion, the Head of South’s English Department, has attended the Open House for the past four years. He hopes families realize and understand the limitless opportunities available at South.

“(South has) so many different avenues,” Campion said. “There’s things for everybody, no matter what you’re interested in.”
Interacting with the young students and their families and being able to sense their excitement is what Campion enjoys most about the event.

“It’s always a treat to see somebody who’s interested in education and interested in picking up what we are learning now,” Campion said.
Science teacher Troy Hernandez was another faculty representative at the Open House. It was Hernandez’s first time in attendance, and he approached visitors in a manner similar to Campion.

“South as a school is committed to learning and we have a lot to offer,” Hernandez said. “Everyone’s really happy to be here and excited to see what we’re about.”

The Thomas family is one of many local families that took advantage of South’s Open House on Sunday, Nov. 13. South is the family’s top choice for their daughter Christina Thomas, who’s currently an eighth grader at Grosse Pointe Academy.

“(Christina) is coming from a small school so the prospect of a larger school is a little daunting,” Christina’s father Milton Thomas said.

“(The Open House) is helpful, it gives us more familiarity with the school.”

The family found South’s wide variety of academic and extracurricular opportunities appealing.

Hamka figured that the opportunity at South would be one of the most attractive qualities on display.

“We have so many paths that children can explore, whether it’s the fine arts, the performing arts, the athletics,” Hamka said. “We offer more opportunities for students than any other comparable high school.”

Out of the 45 families that visited South for last year’s Open House, 31 ended up enrolling, Hamka said. The same is expected of this year.

“We’re hoping for a great turnout,” Hamka said. “I know there’s a lot of interest in Grosse Pointe South High School.”