The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Happening Now

Week of 11/7/16-11/13/16

Chicago Cubs stadium in honor of the team taking the MLB’s Commissioner's trophy last Wednesday.

Creative Commons Wrigley-field-panoramic-framed-chicago-cubs by Jhorsch is llicensed under CC BY-SA 3.0

Emma Andreasen, Multimedia Editor

Cubs World Series brings together millions of people as the seventh largest gathering in history

After 108 years of a championship-less streak, the Chicago Cubs took the MLB’s Commissioner’s trophy last Wednesday, defeating the Cleveland Indians in an 8-7 extra innings effort. The win came at the end of a tight seven game series, ending the Cubs’ so called “curse.” More impressive than the win was the victory parade this past Friday, as the Cubs’ players bussed through the streets of Chicago, ending with a rally celebration in Grant Park. An estimated five million people attended the parade, making it the seventh largest gathering in the history of mankind.

Protein found in brain cells that can help fruit flies with their memory

This week, scientists at the Stowers Institute in Kansas City came across a protein present in fruit flies that helps them form and retrieve long term memories. The protein, called ‘Orb2’ in short, falls under the general category of proteins called prions. Prions can shape-shift between multiple forms and aggregate in clumps while in the same form, such clumps are capable of storing memories. Humans have have proteins that are like Orb2, called CPEB’s, which work in a similar way. While connections between the two variations of special genes are still unbridged, the finding fills in a lot of gaps about how organisms form and retrieve memories, and helps researchers closer towards completely understanding and fixing diseases such as Alzheimer’s.

Ghirmay Ghebreslassie became third fastest male finisher in the race’s 46 year history

This Sunday, 20-year old Ghirmay Ghebreslassie of Eritrea was crowned champion of the New York City Marathon’s men’s division. Finishing with a time of two hours, seven minutes and fifty-one seconds, he became the third fastest male finisher ever to compete in the race’s 46 year history. The female division was lead by Mary Keitany of Kenya, who won the race for the third consecutive year. Her time to finish was two hours, 24 minutes and 26 seconds. 

Annual around the world sailing race to be completed in about 100 days

On Sunday, 29 sailors took to the seas to begin the over-three month ‘Vendee Globe,” a solo, around the world sailing race that has taken place annually since 1989. The sailors departed from Les Sables d’Olonne along the Atlantic coast of France, and will complete the race in around 100 days. Traversing 28,000 miles of the world’s toughest waters, the race has been called by many the “Everest of the Seas,” responsible for the crashing of handfuls of competitors and killing three over its 27 year existence. To many, the finishing time is irrelevant, as completing the race safely is the main objective.

Presidential campaign between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump

In the waning days of presidential campaigning, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump took to Minnesota this past weekend in a last ditch effort to rally support. With the 2016 election that was approached fast last night, the latest Wall Street Journal/NBC survey found that Clinton led by an estimated four point margin over Republican candidate Trump. Many sources report that the advantage is shrinking as the final week closes due to the e-mail scandal. All was decided this Tuesday when voters casted their ballots, resulting in Trump becoming president.