The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Filed under Entertainment, Opinion

Science Book Guide

In a society where the most popular books are fiction, many teens forget about the large spectrum of other available books. Many shy away from the idea of reading non-fiction books, like science books, due to the notion that they will be too complex and feel like school work. This mindset though is why so many are not aware of the hundred of interesting and diverse science books that are out there, and they definitely are not like school textbook.

1. What If?– Published in 2014, this book filled with cute doodles and answers to some of the most absurd questions one can imagine. This book has the perfect mix of humor and science without straying too far from either and can be bought for $14.59 from amazon.com. Questions ranging from “What would happen if you tried to hit a baseball pitched at 90% the speed of light?” to  “How close would you have to be to a supernova to get a lethal dose of neutrino radiation?” will keep any reader interested and wanting more.
  2. Sciencia– Abundant in math, physics, biology, chemistry and astronomy, Sciencia has a topic for everyone. Sciencia is a small book compiled of pieces from other writings such as Evolution, The Human Body, and The Compact Cosmos. This book can be bought for $14.62 from amazon.com and is filled to the brim with scientific knowledge. Sciencia is a straightforward book perfect for any science enthusiasts who want a bit of everything.
  3. The Science Book- Similar to Sciencia, The Science Book  explains a variety of scientific topics with many step-by-step explanations and diagrams. The sides of the pages also include timelines of important dates in scientific history. Each section is titled with an interesting scientific discovery, such as “The Orbit Of Every Planet Is An Ellipse” and “A Falling Body Accelerates Uniformly”. Each section is accompanied by a mini biography about the scientist who helped with the discovery. The simple organization of the book makes it easy to find information about any topic for $16.34 from amazon.com.
  4. Nat Geo Answer Book–  Everything around us is somehow here due to science. Whether it be how a GPS works or how Earth is what it is, this book will have the answers. Filled with photos, graphs and statistics this book holds immense information and displays it in an easy to understand way for $31.91 from amazon.com. Other books may talk about theories and dense concepts with no tie to our daily life. The National Geographic Answer Book does the opposite by taking things in our daily life and showing how they occur with science.
  5. 30 second quantum theory- Physics is one of the most intimidating areas of science, but with 30 Second Quantum Theory anybody can learn about the complex area of physics dealing with energy in an uncomplex way. Each of the 50 concepts discussed can be read about in only half of a minute. Although this book is small in size, it contains a lot of information which will be easier to understand with some basic physics knowledge. For $11.08 on amazon.com any science enthusiast can delve into the world of quantum theory.