Young Democrats of America club joins South

New club offers a chance for political opinions to be heard

Students+attending+the+first+meeting+for+the+Young++++Democrats+of+America.+Photo+courtesy+of+Harper+McClellan+18.+

Students attending the first meeting for the Young Democrats of America. Photo courtesy of Harper McClellan ’18.

Ariana Chengges, Editor-in-Chief of The Tower Pulse

As a way for students to express and converse with others involving their political views, Grosse Pointe South has finally kicked off its first year to have a club called the Young Democrats of America (YDA), Vice President of YDA, Harper McClellan ‘18 said.

“Discussing current issues with the election and students standpoint on specific topics is what our goal is as club here at South,” President of YDA, Margot Baer ‘18 said.

Since South has had a republican version of the club for a few years now, students believed it was time to bring in a democratic version, McClellan stated. McClellan said they had been planning on creating the club for about a month.

“It took us time to converse with students and come together to make this happen,” McClellan said.

According to McClellan, meetings will include discussions of current issues within the election, as well as each member’s views on the standpoints of being a Democrat.

As a member of the club, Daniel Kuhnlein ‘17 stated he’s interested in listening to all points of view on political issues and working with other students to make the school and the country a better place.

“I think I align with the Democratic party with my political views personally in that with working with other students to make the school and the country a better place who have the same political views as I do,” Kuhnlein said. “I hope to be contributed to discussions and ideas to make South a better place and have everyone be informed.”

Kuhnlein said the community is rooted with traditions that typically side with the Republican party.

“I think that is why it took us this long to get a club,” Kuhnlein said. “I think that having a club that represents both sides of political issues is a good idea because it creates a environment where every student has a place.

The first meeting was held on Monday, Oct. 24 with about 15 students. Meetings will be held every Monday in room 154 right after school.