The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

The Tower

Filed under Fall, Featured, Sports

Cross-town rivals battle in Thursday night soccer game

Grosse Pointe South huddles before the half-time kick off. South scored in the second half off a penalty kick in the box.

By Katherine Bird ’19 | Page Editor

On Thursday night, Grosse Pointe South’s boys varsity soccer team played Grosse Pointe North as part of their regular season play. The game was a hard fought battle that ended in a tie.

Morgan Clevenger ’17 took the majority of South’s free kicks with many of them grazing by the net. Multiple free kicks were taken due to the physicality going on between the rival teams.

Jake Reid ’18 was able to get behind North’s defense on multiple occasions sending penetrating balls into the box that South couldn’t finish on.

The game remained scoreless until a foul was called inside North’s 18-yard box during the second half. With 15:02 remaining, Matt Moran ’19 took the penalty kick and scored.

Starting goalkeeper, Nick Etsios ’17, had many saves in the night besides the goal North scored with 4:42 remaining.

William Muawad ’17, Anthony Frasier ’18 and Moran helped a strong defense throughout the game. There were rare occurrences where North’s attack got behind the defensive line.

Captains Ryan Kotas ’17 and Clevenger believe the score of the game didn’t reflect on their team’s performance in the game.

“It was a physical game where we both played well on defense and offense,” Clevenger said. “But we couldn’t figure out how to play them.”

“We played pretty well,” Kotas said. “We had a few mistakes in the back that allowed them to get a goal off a bad call.”
The next home game for the boy’s varsity soccer will be on Sept. 26 at 7:30 p.m. vs. Romeo highschool.