The Student News Site of Grosse Pointe South High School

Captain Max Corden ’13 nets OT winner to advance to district final

Mikey Sullivan ’13 | Photo Editor

After surrendering a two goal lead in the third period, the boys varsity hockey team overcame the De La Salle Pilots in the district semifinal, with an overtime winner from Captain Max Corden ’13, on Wednesday, Feb. 27.

The boy’s defense was stellar through the first two periods giving up no goals and stopping countless scoring opportunities. The defense was backed by equally great offense which was led Will Poplawski ’16 and Ryley Maher ’13, each scoring a goal in regulation. Another outstanding effort was by Shane Sparkman ’13 who tallied two assists.

In the third period, the Pilots made a run netting two goals within the last ten minutes of the game, the second coming with just over one minute left in the game. The second goal tied the game and forced the game into sudden death overtime.

This did not phase the Blue Devils who used the momentum from goalie Andrew Wright’s, numerous saves in overtime to capitalize on the mistakes of the Pilots. After a pass was broken up in the neutral zone, Corden, stole the puck, skated into the offensive zone and scored the game winner with under four minutes left in overtime.

The team will play Rochester Hills Stoney Creek on Saturday, March 2 at Warren De La Salle High School for the district final.

• Wyatt Flynn '14
  • Max Corden '13
  • Andrew Hyde '14
  • Andrew Hyde '14
  • Andrew Bigham '14
  • Ryley Maher '13
  • Alex Newell '13

Photos By Margaret Brennan ’13