South alum takes off with new travel business

By Lindsey Mestdagh ’13 | Staff Writer

South graduate of 2008 Charles O’Neill soars with new travel business, High Definition Travel, benefitting anyone from spring breakers to worldwide travelers.

O’Neill attended the University of Michigan and graduated in May of 2012, he said. He started his business at age 19 while in college, three years ago.

As his main job, O’Neill supports himself through High Definition Travel as he works with about 30 clients on average and 300-400 people during spring break bookings.

“I started it when I saw a clear need for someone to help students plan their spring break trips since nobody knew where to start,” said O’Neill. “I also had a lot of insight on destinations from my personal travels which I found to be very valuable to student travelers.”

Seeing a market for college travel while attending Michigan, O’Neill said he figured out how to start building a client base. From there, he has seen over a 100%-300% growth in sales since he first started his business in 2009.

“Since I have travelled to many destinations around the world, I can offer clients a beneficial perspective based on my own travel experience to the destination they select,” said O’Neill.

Although High Definition Travel specializes in all inclusive spring break packages for high school and college clients, there are vacation packages also available for clients to any destination in the world, O’Neill said.

“We take care of all the logistics so our clients can take a worry-free vacation without having to deal with any of the hassles in vacation planning,” said O’Neill. “The best part is there is no fee to use our services.”

The main benefit to working with High Definition Travel is the savings on the vacation packages, O’Neill said. The business works with suppliers who have large buying power and the ability to undercut prices that would traditionally be quoted.

O’Neill has preferred accounts with many suppliers, he said it helps him access better pricing for his clients. Most booking is done over the internet, but he works with suppliers on the phone as well.

“Working through preferred suppliers, I have access to special air rates and negotiated hotel rates that end up saving my clients hundreds of dollars,” said O’Neill. “When working with an online travel agency, they don’t have the same buying power as suppliers I work with which ends up leading to higher prices for the traveler.”

If the client does happen to find a better price online, High Definition Travel has the ability to price match any online price they find for the same package, O’Neill said.

High Definition Travel offers even better pricing than online agencies such as Orbitz, Travelocity, and Expedia, O’Neill said.

“Our family has used Charlie for years starting with spring break trips to Mexico, the Dominican Republic, France, Spain and Florida,” said Mike Naber. “He was recommended by a local family and we have been using his services ever since.”

Naber said he is very successful with all arrangements from plane tickets to resort and hotel recommendations and transfers to and from the airport.

“We have had him work with us involving small groups to large groups each with equal success,” said Naber.

O’Neill has access to good pricing because he has been providing service to local families and students for many years, Naber said. He is easily reachable for clarification if needed and is a local agent in our community.

“We started using O’Neill’s business because we received outstanding referrals on his business, work ethic and knowledge of locations for trips,” said Mary Treder Lang.

He really takes the time to ensure all his clients fully understand the information of the trip, Lang said. O’Neill checks up during the trip to make sure the accommodations are up to expectations and he is thorough in communicating all of the details.

Not only does O’Neill understand what high school and college students want in a trip, but also is very familiar with family trips because he has been working with families who have traveled all over the world since he has started, Lang said.

Lang attended a spring break trip last year with about 100 parents and high school seniors in Punta Cana booked by O’Neill.

“The resort and accommodations were beyond our expectations,” said Lang. “The entire group kept thanking me for choosing Charlie and working with his company in our selection.”

Charlie has set up an outstanding service and experience for many families and students, Lang said.

“I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone interested in going on a fun, memorable and very well organized trip especially abroad,” said Naber.

He is very interested, pleasant, professional and engaging as he works with clients for their next trip and those thereafter, Naber said.

“We are so confident that you will get the best possible vacation price that we will price match any competitors pricing on the same package and give you a voucher for your next trip,” said O’Neill.

High Definition Travel has access to special air pricing which typically saves clients hundred of dollars over air prices they would find on their own through online travel agencies, O’Neill said.

The business also offers destination insight that is valuable when choosing a hotel, deciding what part of town to stay in, or even selecting restaurants to eat at or tours to purchase while on vacation, O’Neill said.