Fourth Annual Glowout to take place Friday after Midterms

Fourth+Annual+Glowout+to+take+place+Friday+after+Midterms+

Emily Mylnarek ’14 | Staff Writer

At the end of first semester, students can close their books and dance under the black lights during the 4th annual Glowout Dance on Friday, Jan. 25 at 7 p.m., Junior Class President Kimberly Barbour said.

“The Glowout is sort of a reward after midterms when students get a chance to hang out with friends on that Friday night,” said Barbour.

The Glowout is an informal dance, unlike Sadie Hawkins and Homecoming, Barbour said. This year, glow in the dark T-Shirts and other products will be for sale before the dance.

“You get to dress in neon and bright colors because there are black lights,” said Lilly Hampton ’16. “I am excited to go shopping for a crazy outfit!”

Students must be aware that the dress code policy for school is enforced at the dance, which does not allow bare midriffs or hats, Junior Class Adviser Carrie Halliburton said.

“Dress to impress, don’t scare with skin,” said Halliburton.

The administration has approved Charlie Gough ’13, instead of a professional to DJ the dance, said Halliburton.

“I am very excited that Charlie Gough is the DJ,” said Matthew Kennedy ’15. “It will be a nice change to have a student DJ who understands what music South students want to listen to.”

The Sophomore and Junior class councils have been putting the dance together since November so the Sophomores could learn how to plan the dance, Halliburton said.

“Working with the juniors was exciting because we got to learn about how the Glowout is organized,” said Sophomore Class Ambassador Ellie Flom ’15. “We are all friends, so it was fun to be able to spend time together on this project.”

Tickets for the dance are available at both lunches every day until Friday, Jan. 18  or after exams every day during midterm week for $10, and.  Students must present their tickets and student IDs at the dance for admittance.

“I am really excited to celebrate the end of midterms at the dance,” said Hampton.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.