What is your favorite spring sport

NHS Blood Drive to take place Friday

Graphic Courtesy of Google Images

By Kelly Cullen ’13 | Social Media Editor

The National Honor Society (NHS) will be holding its annual blood drive for the American Red Cross on Friday, 30. In order to give blood, students must be 17 years old and 110 pounds or more relative to height and sex, NHS Adviser Lou Cook said.

Students were able to sign up during their first or second lunch as long as they met the requirements to give blood, Cook said.    There will be American Red Cross staff members to help or assist throughout the day, and will be there for any questions people might have.

Not every student who walks in to give blood will be able to, Cook said.  The nurse will need to check the donors hemoglobin and make sure its high enough before they give blood.

Nurses will be arriving in the girl’s gym between 5 and 6 a.m. to set up for the blood drive, Cook said.  The four NHS officers will be required to work the blood drive the entire day, and while 3-4 other NHS members working different shifts throughout the day.

“I appreciate all of the teaching staff supporting the blood drive as they have every year,” said Cook.  “Since students are missing classes in the day in order to give blood it causes a disruption to the school day.”

Volunteers will be assigned a specific job on Friday and will be trained in that area to assure the blood drive goes smoothly, Cook said.

“If you are on the fence about giving blood just remember that every time you give blood you are saving someone’s life”, said NHS President Neal Jeup ’13.    “In fact, your one blood donation will be broken down into several components, enabling you, with just one donation, to save three lives.

Students giving blood are encouraged to get a good night sleep the night before and also eat food the week before that is high in iron.  A few of these foods include: red meat, fish, poultry, beans, spinach, raisins, etc.

Because Lilly Sterr ’13 was 16 last year, she is looking forward to give blood on Friday as she now fits the age requirement.

“I’m very excited to give blood this year, and think that if people meet the requirements they definitely should because they will be helping a life big time,” said Sterr.  “Because people really need blood when they’re going through medical procedures and may not have enough, and we have extra it’s a good act of humanity!”

Sign up for the NHS Blood Drive is closed, although if you are still interested in giving blood, visit this site (http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood).