Mike Bevier ’80 recognized as honorary captain

Lindsey Mestdagh ’13| Staff Writer

On Friday, Oct. 5 at the Grosse Pointe North vs. South football game, Mike Bevier ‘80 was recognized by The Great American Rivalry Series as the honorary captain for his contribution in past North vs. South games.

The Great American Rivalry Series presents these awards to top rivalry games across the country, varsity coach Chad Hepner said. Its goal is to honor a past player that has starred in or impacted the rivalry in a significant way.

“Bevier was a three year starter for Grosse Pointe South’s varsity team, allowing him to play in three North vs. South games,” said Hepner. “He was the all time leader in tackles for South.”

Bevier was a key contributor to the rivalry games as described by his coach, Bob Schroeder, in a 1979 Tower article: “He is one of the best players I have ever coached in high school or college,” said Schroeder.

“His accomplishments include being a two year captain for South, two year All League selection, All State honors, and completing his high school career with a full scholarship to Central Michigan University,” said Hepner.

As number 73, Bevier played starting linebacker in 1977, 1978 and 1979. Hepner’s father coached Bevier and described him as an intelligent and intense player who always had his head in the game, Hepner said.

“I was incredibly honored to be chosen for this award,” said Bevier. “To be remembered after 32 years and selected to represent the rivalry series is very humbling.”

At halftime an engraved commemorative glass trophy was presented to him, Bevier said. Along with the presentation, there was an announcement of his involvement and impact in the rivalry game as well as significant achievements after high school.

“The greatest memories of my high school football career was the camaraderie of the people I played with, the feeling of getting ready to go out and play and the fun of the entire atmosphere around me,” said Bevier.

After high school, Bevier said he earned a full scholarship to Central Michigan University, where he started as linebacker for three years.

“I was told by my college coach that I would do very well in the coaching industry,” said Bevier. “If I could do one thing differently, it would be to go back and take his advice.”

He and his college teammates formed a unique relationship that is unforgettable after being together 10-12 months a year for three years, Bevier said. He believes a team needs to understand the bond that they have and how important it is.

Bevier said he felt especially honored to be able to share his award with his son, who stood by him during halftime. A linebacker as well, his son Jon is a starter for the North varsity football team.

In 1992, Bevier said his life was changed when he was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. It was difficult understanding and living with the effects of the disease on a daily basis, but he always kept an optimistic attitude.

“Always believe that the glass is half full, stay positive and don’t get down on yourself,” said Bevier.

Bevier’s attitude and success story makes him a positive influence to the community, Hepner said.

“Even as a young boy I remember looking up to players on the football team,” said Hepner. “Mike especially became my role model because he was such a strong player that stood out on the field and carried an excellent reputation in the community.